International Tax Service

Understanding expat tax

As an expat, you may find that your tax situation has become more complex, particularly if your wealth is spread across more than one country.

Here you'll find a range of tools and resources to help you understand your tax commitments - both at home and abroad.

We can also refer you to the International Tax Service provided by Ernst & Young (EY) to HSBC Expat customers.

Understanding expat tax

International Tax Service

We can refer you to international tax specialists, EY.

All customers have access to departure briefings and a tax return service, while HSBC Premier customers can also benefit from personal tax advice.

Find out more

Global Tax Navigator

Thinking about your next move?

Find out about local tax rules and systems in the country you're moving to, and the impact on your tax commitments in the country you're leaving.

Use our Global Tax Navigator

Things to consider

While no-one expects you to be an authority on expat tax, there are steps you can take to manage your finances more effectively.

Here are just a few of the things you should consider

Find out more

Updates, news and views

Tax - a practical guide

Part of our Expat Finance Guide series, this practical guide highlights some of the tax related issues you should consider when living and working abroad.

Tax glossary

Our tax glossary provides definition of some of the most common tax terms you’re likely to come across.

Inheritance planning

Inheritance planning

When your finances are spread across different countries, understanding the local inheritance laws can be a challenge. But with careful planning, you can ensure your wealth is passed on according to your wishes.

Talk to us today

HSBC Premier customers
Call: +44 1534 616 313

HSBC Advance customers
Call: +44 1534 616 212

New to HSBC Expat?
Call: +44 1534 616 055

We are open 24/7. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded for security and service improvement purposes.

Your tax obligations

While banking offshore may have tax related benefits for you, tax rules differ from country to country. If you're unsure about your personal tax obligations, you should seek professional advice. It's your responsibility to disclose your income to the tax authorities.

Living in the EU?

If you live in the European Union, you may be subject to the European Savings Directive. Find out more

The International Tax Service is provided by Ernst & Young. EY refers to the global organisation of member firms of Ernst & Young Global Limited, each of which is a separate legal entity. Ernst & Young Global Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, does not provide tax services to clients. The UK firm Ernst & Young LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number 0C300001 and is a member firm of Ernst & Young Global Limited. If you become an EY customer, any tax advice provided by EY will be in accordance with EY's terms and conditions of services, a copy of which EY will send to you along with an engagement letter. HSBC are not tax advisers and HSBC Expat will not accept any responsibility for tax advice provided by EY.