Fluent in 19 different currencies
What we offer
Enjoy exclusive rates, set up limit orders to automatically convert your money when it hits the desired rate, and access live market insights.
Personalised FX plan
Get rewarded for your loyalty, with personalised rates offered exclusively for customers who have exchanged over USD 325,000 or currency equivalent in the previous year.
Set up a Limit Order on our FX app or over the phone, and we’ll convert your currency as soon as the exchange rate reaches the agreed level.
Fee-free global transfers
Move up to USD 200,000 or the currency equivalent between your eligible accounts in online banking or via the FX app.
Foreign exchange currencies
To benefit from our FX services you’ll need to become a HSBC Expat customer.
Our expat bank account stays with you, no matter where life takes you
No matter how many times you move to a different country, your account with us stays the same. And to make life a little bit easier, you can view all of your international HSBC accounts with a single log on.
- Save up to 40% on foreign exchange if you’ve recently joined HSBC Expat, and make your first transaction between $75,000 and $149,999 over the phone. Eligible for new joiners from 2 November to 31 December on transactions until 31 January 2021. Terms and conditions apply (PDF)
- Enjoy an extra 0.20% AER / Gross welcome bonus interest on GBP, USD, HKD and AED Fixed Term Deposit accounts opened within 90 days of opening your first Expat bank account. Terms and conditions apply (PDF)
- Current accounts available in Pound sterling, United States dollar and Euro
- Choose to open additional savings accounts in Hong Kong dollar, United Arab Emirates dirham, Australian dollar and up to 16 other currencies
- 24/7 access to your accounts via our mobile banking app, online banking and telephone banking
- Visa debit card available in sterling and US dollar, with contactless payments on US dollar
- Complimentary travel security services from WorldAware®
- Receive personal support from our offices in Jersey (Channel Islands) and Hong Kong
- Get help setting up your local bank accounts for when you arrive in a new country
- Enjoy all the benefits of the HSBC Premier service including a Premier Relationship Manager to help you manage your currency needs
Your Expat account provides a place for your money to grow in a convenient, central location. It connects to your home account, for financial commitments in your home country, and to your local accounts, for everyday expenses in the country you’ve moved to. Allowing you to manage all your eligible HSBC accounts from one place.
Bank and savings accounts currencies
New HSBC Expat customers must be 18 years or over and meet one of these criteria:
- hold a minimum of £50,000 (or currency equivalent) with us
- have a sole salary of £100,000 (or currency equivalent)
- have already qualified for HSBC Premier in another country
How to apply
Not yet an HSBC Expat customer?
You're only a few steps away from joining us online.
Things you should know
Your Expat bank account will be held in Jersey, Channel Islands, a secure offshore jurisdiction and one of the world's leading and best-regulated international finance centres as recognised by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
We may not be able to offer accounts in every country or region1
You might be interested in
1HSBC Expat products and services are available only in jurisdictions where and when they may be lawfully offered by us. The material on these pages is not intended for use by persons located in or resident in jurisdictions which restrict the distribution of this material by us. Persons accessing these pages are required to inform themselves about any relevant restrictions and observe them. Not all products or services mentioned on this website will be available to residents of all countries/regions, due to HSBC Policy.