Top of main content

Buying a property abroad

If you're moving abroad to work or live, you'll probably rent for a while, but after a few years you may decide to apply for a mortgage so you can buy a home or invest in a rental property there.

When you start looking for a loan, your options may be limited as an expat.

International mortgages

If you are looking to purchase a property abroad we can help connect you with the right team in that country or region. HSBC has mortgage teams all over the world, as long as we have one in the country you are looking to purchase then we can help.

Loan example

You're a British expat living in Paris and you'd like to buy a property there, but your savings are in GBP. You don't want to convert your savings as the exchange rate isn't favourable at the moment. To fund the purchase, you could take out a loan in EUR that's secured against the savings you have in GBP.

Your home or property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

All mortgages are subject to status and eligibility criteria.

Find out about our lending services

Invest in a property in the UK to rent out to tenants.
Our global connections can help you with an international mortgage application.
Listening to what you have to say about services matters to us. It's easy to share your ideas, stay informed and join the conversation.